14 July 2013

Day 14: A Film That You Used to Love But Now Hate



Day 14 of the 31 Day Film Challenge: A film that you used to love but now hate.

One film that comes to mind is Blake Edwards’ Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961). Now before you start hurling your pearl necklaces and cigarette holders at me, hear me out.

I love Truman Capote’s book and used to love the movie (along with what seems to be every other woman in the world). Yet on a recent viewing I found that I was not as enamoured with it as I had thought. Let me say, I do love the look of the film and the music and think Audrey is adorable. But George Peppard is a bad actor, the ending is pure Hollywood (unlike the one in the book), and never for a second is Audrey believable as a former farm girl from Texas. In fact, she is too sophisticated in general to play Holly. And don’t get me started on the embarrassing racist portrayal by Mickey Rooney of Mr. Yunioshi. Seriously, what was Blake Edwards thinking? So maybe what I should say is not that I hate Breakfast at Tiffany’s but rather I don’t love it. Sorry.

To find out more about the 31 Day Film Challenge, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...