10 July 2013

Day 10: A Film From Your Favourite Director



Day 10 of the 31 Day Film Challenge: A film from your favourite director.

I would be hard pressed to name just one favourite director. There are so many whom I could list—Lubitsch, Wilder, Truffaut, Fellini, Kieslowski. Another would be Alfred Hitchcock for the simple reason that no matter how often I watch one of his films, I still get sucked in as if I’m seeing it for the first time. My favourite of all his works is Notorious (1946), which stars my main leading man, Cary Grant, as a US agent who gets Ingrid Bergman, the daughter of a convicted spy, to infiltrate a group of Nazi living in exile in Brazil. When one of them, Claude Rains, shows an interest in Bergman, she must decide how far she’s willing to go for her country. 


The film is fraught with Hitchcock’s special blend of suspense and romance and includes maybe the greatest screen kiss ever caught on film. And the final scene on the staircase? A complete nail biter. Notorious is brilliantly executed and pure Hitchcock.

To find out more about the 31 Day Film Challenge, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...