02 February 2012

Jazz Baby

Louise Brooks, the ultimate Jazz Baby.

Jazz Baby
My daddy was a rag-time trombone player. 
My mammy was a rag-time cabaret-er. 
They met one day at a tango tea. 
There was a syncopated wedding 
And then came me. 
Folks think the way I walk is a fad, 
But it's just a birthday present from my mammy and dad. 
‘Cause I'm a Jazz Baby. 
I wanna be jazzin’ all the time. 
There's something in the tone of a saxophone 
That makes me do a little wiggle all my own. 
'Cause I'm a Jazz Baby, 
Full of jazzbo harmony. 
Ya’ know, that Walk the Dog and Ball the Jack 
That cause all the talk, 
Well, that’s just a copy of the way I nat’chally walk. 
'Cause I'm a Jazz Baby 
Little jazz baby that's me. 

Rocked to sleep while the cradle went to and fro 
To and fro to the tune of the Tickle-toe. 
Ever since I started in to growing 
I loved to hear the music playin’ 
See my dear old mammy swayin' 
Jazz, jazz, that's all I ever knew 
All day long; I never would get through 
Jazz, jazz, That's all I want to do. 
Play me a little jazz. 
‘Cause I’m a Jazz Baby! 
Little Jazz Baby that’s all.

Written in 1919 by Blanche Merrill and M.K. Jerome, "Jazz Baby" was a song that captured the spirit of a new era and gave a nickname to the young women of the 1920s. To hear a recording of the song, listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...