07 November 2010

Don't Worry


In a letter to his daughter Scottie dated August 8, 1933, F. Scott Fitzgerald laid out some advice for her to follow. The letter alternates between lighthearted sweetness (he addresses Scottie as both Pie and Halfwit) and genuine concern for her future. It also gives some insight into Fitzgerald’s own character (he confesses to not believing in happiness). Reading the letter today, it’s interesting to note how much of what he says still rings true (Save for the part about insects. There I would have to disagree with him). What do you think dear readers?

Things to worry about:
Worry about courage

Worry about cleanliness

Worry about efficiency

Worry about horsemanship

Things not to worry about:
Don’t worry about popular opinion

Don’t worry about dolls

Don’t worry about the past

Don’t worry about the future

Don’t worry about growing up

Don’t worry about anybody getting ahead of you

Don’t worry about triumph

Don’t worry about failure unless it comes through your own fault

Don’t worry about mosquitoes

Don’t worry about flies

Don’t worry about insects in general 

Don’t worry about parents

Don’t worry about boys

Don’t worry about disappointments

Don’t worry about pleasures

Don’t worry about satisfactions

Things to think about:
What am I really aiming at?

How good am I in comparison to my contemporaries in regards to:

(a) Scholarship

(b) Do I really understand about people and am I able to get along with them?

(c) Am I trying to make my body a useful instrument or am I neglecting it?

1 comment:

  1. i love this. so strange to read this post now. just last night i started writing letters to the boys for their 2nd birthdays. just to put in an envelope and put away. reading this has helped me think of content. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...